Is your loved one struggling with an addiction? If so, you may be concerned that your behaviors are enabling them to continue their addiction. Here are a few behaviors to be aware of:
1) Money: Often times we may give your loved one money whenever they ask, you may be enabling them. Be very specific about what you are willing to pay for, and stick to your plan.
2) Substances: Do not allow them to use substances in your home and refuse to spend time with them while they are using substances.
3) Speaking with Others: Do not “cover up” for them with others. Be honest about what is happening or say that you are not comfortable discussing it.
4) Making it Normal: Do not normalize their addiction. It is true that many people suffer with addiction but that does not mean it is something “normal” that should be ignored.
5) Professional Help: Do not try to be their therapist or physician. Addiction is a complicated problem and in most cases requires some professional intervention. Help them get help!
I hope this information is helpful. If you think you or a loved one is suffering from addiction, we are here to help! Please call us at 919-636-5240 for a consultation.
Live Mentally Healthy,