There are many benefits to seeing an out-of-network psychiatrist and today I will talk about six benefits for you to think about.
1. Privacy – The out-of-network psychiatrist does not have any contracts with insurance so they are not obligated to send your information to insurance.
2. Flexibility – The out-of-network psychiatrist is not limited by insurance as to what kind of services you can receive, what price the services will be, the number of sessions you can have.
3. Longer appointments – Since insurance reimbursements are low, in-network psychiatrists typically allow 15 minutes per appointment and you might feel rushed.
4. You are seen on time – In-network psychiatrists are often double-booked or triple-booked so it is difficult for them to stay on schedule; out-of-network psychiatrists do not need to double-book so you are seen on time.
5. Cost transparency – With an out-of-network provider you pay up front so you know exactly what your services cost; with in-network providers it is very difficult to know how much you will owe after your co-pay.
6. No prior authorizations – Some in-network psychiatrists have to get prior authorization for sessions with you with your insurance, this can limit your access to care; out-of-network providers do not have this limitation and can see you right away.
Do you have any questions about seeing an out-of-network Psychiatrist? Do you need help to see if it is more cost effective for you? If so, please feel free to reach out with any questions you may have. We are capable of telling you exactly what your insurance will and won’t over, as well as how much of your deductible you’ve met. Please call us at 919-636-5240.
Live Mentally Healthy,
Dr. Jennie Bryne