We all have mental health and enjoying mental health means having a sense of wellbeing, being able to engage in our everyday lives and feel confident to cope when challenges arise. Just like our physical health, there are actions we can all take to increase our mental fitness. Here are 5 tips that will help you boost your wellbeing and stay mentally healthy.
1. Take time to do the things you enjoy. Set aside time for activities, hobbies and projects you really enjoy. Allow yourself time each day or week for to do more of what you love. It can be very simple pleasures that don’t cost any money like doing a crossword; take a walk in your local park; read a book; sew a quilt; draw pictures with your kids; play with your pets, watch a movie – whatever you love to do.
2. Connect with people in meaningful ways. Develop and maintain strong relationships with people around you who will support and enrich your life. The quality of our personal relationships has a great effect on our well-being. Putting time and effort into building strong relationships can bring a great feeling of belonging, connection and love. Something we all need to live a healthy life.
3. Practice noticing the here and now. Take a moment throughout your day to feel the present moment. Simply ‘be’ exactly where you are and – feel the sun or the wind on your face, notice your breathing, or listen closely to the birds. It’s easy to be caught up thinking about the past or planning for the future instead of experiencing the present. Practicing mindfulness, by focusing your attention on being in the moment, is a good way to do this. Making a conscious effort to be aware of your inner and outer world is important for your mental health.
4. Rest, refresh and rejuvenate. It is important to get plenty of sleep. Go to bed at a regular time each day and practice good habits to get better sleep. Sleep restores both your mind and body. It’s also OK to add ‘do nothing’ to your to-do list or take a bath or sit outside and just take time to relax. This is essential for restoring our mind and body for optimal mental health. Practice noticing the here and now.
5. Ask for help. We all need help in our lives and it is important to ask for help when you need it. This can be as simple as asking a friend to babysit while you have some time out. It may be reaching out to find a counselor or community mental health professional. The perfect, worry-free life does not exist. Everyone’s life journey has bumpy parts and the people around you can help. However, it you need to ask for it and if you don’t get the help you need first off, keep asking until you do.
Thank you for taking the time to reach out and read our blog. Feel free to connect with us on Facebook or reach out in an email if you have any questions.
Wishing you well,
Dr. Byrne, MD, PhD,